Total Pageviews

Friday 6 March 2015

NIPT results and Gender reveal

The results are back and the NIPT has put us at very low risk of Trisomy 13, Trisomy 18, Trisomy 21 and Turners Syndrome. Thats good news right? Well yes, it cleared us for the most common chromosome issues, and had the fluid stayed the same and not changed we were probably looking a a good outcome, but now there is a much bigger problem. The fluid has increased dramatically in a very short time and now it is looking like a cystic hygroma - a bilateral cystic hygroma which goes from both sides of her neck and part way down her back. This is not a good sign.

This is a link that explains what a cystic hygroma is in very simple terms:
http://www.healthline.com/health/cystic-hygroma#Overview1

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1586333

We chose to find out if our baby was a girl or boy, as there are so many questions surrounding the pregnancy already, and we don't need another surprise there have already been too many of those. So for $500 we now know the sex and are excited that E & O will now have a little sister. I had my suspicions for weeks, as I have been dreadfully sick with morning sickness - very similar to my daughters pregnancy. With my son, I only had mild morning sickness. The only way I am functioning at the moment is by taking 2 different medications daily - one of which causes migraines which put together with a stressful situation is not pleasant.

Now we wait for a 12 week ultrasound to check for structural issues. We are scared and the prognosis is not looking good. A cystic hygroma has a far greater rate of mortality than a high nuchal fluid reading. This is now different to E's story and the problems we faced in her pregnancy. It is hard to come to terms with things because the doctors are talking about termination, which is what was talked to us about with E and she is a happy and healthy 5 year old  - so many "what if's"

We are also torn whether to tell the kids or not, I don't want to put them through unnecessary pain and heartache, but I know they have a right to know about their sibling.

We are Christians and have a small army of friends and family who have been praying for us and supporting us. Without my Faith I have no idea how I would be at the moment. The only thing I can stand on at the moment is that God loves me and our tiny daughter and I have the knowledge, peace and hope that I will see my daughter again - whether it be in Heaven or on Earth - but how I wish it will be on Earth!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I would love to hear from you and hear about your story! Leave me a message :)